Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My new piano

When I was about 9 years old, my family bought our first piano. It was an old player model, having belonged to a family friend. Two years later, we sold the instrument to move to north Idaho.

It wasn't a bad trade -- a piano for farm life on 10 acres. But I missed playing music, and after I sold my second 4H market hog, I bought a piano. Like my first one, it was about a hundred years old. Heavy, clunky, and full of character.

But, like all good things, farm life in Idaho came to an end. I sold my piano back to it's original family and headed east with the rest of my clan, back to the land of our heritage: the Ozarks.

That was in 2003. Since then, I have often thought of buying another piano. But with life as unsettled as it has been, first with finding the right town and then finishing college, I didn't put any real effort into the task. But for the last year or so, I've missed having a piano in the living room. I started praying about it. Being a poor college student, it wasn't something I could afford.

And God seemed to provide, through the willing vessels of my grandparents, who gave me a hefty financial present upon graduation in May. Finally, I thought, I would buy a piano. But it wasn't until the last month that I started reading Craigslist seriously, inquiring about many instruments. And I kept praying, all the while, that God would show me the right instrument -- the one He wanted me to have.

This morning was like many others. As I sipped coffee and flipped through social networking feeds and email accounts, I opened a tab for Craigslist. As usual -- I prayed God would show me the right piano.

He did.

A man named David was selling his mother's Kimball. 35 years old. Good condition. $1. He gave a phone number, but I replied with an email. I figured it was either junk or gone already.

It wasn't gone. It was just a couple miles down the road.

Now, it is in my house.







God answered my prayer in an unexpectedly tangible way. But knowing Him, why should I be surprised?


If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him! (Matthew 7:11 ESV)

2 comments:

  1. $1??? Oh, wow! I didn't know you played the piano. Don't you think God answers prayers like this one to remind us of his abundant willingness to provide good things to his children in other areas?

    I do.

    After moving home last December, I prayed for a good piano teacher, someone who could help me improve my technique, sightreading, and learn to improvise. My sister met him the next day. It took me 6 months to get up the nerve to call him for an audition! But I knew from our first meeting that he was completely an answer to prayer, and I couldn't believe I'd waited so long to take God up on his provision.

    Enjoy your instrument as you worship the One who gave it to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right Rebecca! It feels like one big, heavy, hard-wood reminder that He is Jehovah Jireh. :-) That's really neat about Him providing you with the perfect instructor as well!

    So often, God doesn't answer our prayers right away. It seems like there are many areas where we wait for direction, guidance, and providence. But when things like this happen, it's as if He reaches down and says, "Don't forget I'm here, and I know what you need."

    He is so good. :-)

    ReplyDelete