Monday, April 25, 2011

Surviving South Beach: Low-Carb Peanut Butter Cookies

Last week I started a diet. Well, kind of. Started probably isn't really the best word. I was already on the diet. I just started a much more strict version.

Several years ago my family discovered the South Beach Diet. I know -- it sounds like a cheesy fad diet. It really isn't. It was originally called The Doctor's Diet, but apparently they changed the name for marketing reasons. The premise is pretty simple -- eat healthy foods. You eat what you want of good carbs and good fats. You watch the scale, and you make wise decisions.

I was born with one of those metabolisms that causes me to put on pounds at the mere thought of food. So, I am usually really careful when it comes to my eating habits. But since graduating college last year, five sneaking pounds have crowded me out of my jeans. So, as a pre-summer blitz on my blubber, I started up Phase 1 of South Beach again. I also have started jogging (but that's an entry for another day).

This time around, my favorite treats have been the peanut butter cookies. They may not be as good as the real thing, but in my opinion, they are pretty darn tasty.




Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients:
1 c. creamy peanut butter (all-natural peanut butter works best)
1 1/3 c. Granulated Splenda (or 1 c. sugar if you don't want them to be low-carb)
1 egg
1/2 t. vanilla extract

Directions:
Mix ingredients. Roll into teaspoon-size balls and use a fork to criss-cross the tops. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Enjoy!

You can view the original recipe here.

1 comment:

  1. I do believe my beloved could eat any peanut butter cookie not nailed or glued to the plate or box. He loves them. I too need to watch my weight for medical reasons. I see a nutritionist on Saturday in may to start the game plan. Your blog is calm. Thank you for having me. I'm having a giveaway if you would like to stop by. Tammy

    ReplyDelete