Friday, July 22, 2011

Garden Fresh Zucchini Bread

It was seven years ago when I first made it.

Seven years. Wow -- that's a long time.

It was the year my family planted our first garden in Missouri. We were living in Springfield at the time, and our garden plot left much to be desired. Still, we had more okra, yellow squash, and zucchini than we could eat.

We had to get creative.

Among the various vegetable recipes we tried that summer, we sampled a recipe for zucchini bread.

It was wonderful.

I don't know how many batches of it I made that summer. I do know I put on several pounds (though, I think that may have had more to do with the mountains of fried okra I consumed).

And then summer was over.

We did not harvest any zucchini in our next two gardens. We planted it, but the fruits of our labor went to the neighborhood groundhogs. We trapped 10 of the critters last year, but the damage was already done.

This year was different.


We picked our first zucchini last week. As you can see, we had let it get a bit large. I was glad about that -- glad because I was just itching to do a little baking.

I whipped up a double-batch of zucchini bread last Saturday night, which made two loaves and one bunt pan. It was just as delicious as I remembered.

Zucchini Bread

Ingredients:
3 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. baking powder
1 T. cinnamon
3 eggs
1 c. oil
1 T. vanilla extract
3 c. grated zucchini
1 c. walnuts

Directions:
Grate zucchini. I used a Salad Shooter to make this a quick process.


Combine dry ingredients.


Add eggs, oil, and vanilla.


Mix to combine. Dough will be quite thick.


Mix in zucchini. Dough will soften to a thick batter.


Pour into two greased and floured loaf pans.


Bake at 350 degrees for about one hour.


Slice and enjoy. I recommend butter.

1 comment:

  1. Never tried Zucchini before but I 'm sure the bread tasted good! Personally, I would eliminate the nut because I don't like nuts except in ice cream...maybe :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete