Monday, February 13, 2012

An Arkansas Breakfast: Chocolate Gravy and Biscuits


Do you know what this means?

One, it means I have a super sweet brother who knows all too well how to surprise me with the fixings for my favorite breakfast.

Two, it means I got to eat an Arkansas family favorite -- chocolate gravy and biscuits.

If you want to taste something exquisitely out of the ordinary, here's an easy way to do it.

Open a can (or four) of biscuits. I hope I don't have to tell you how.




While the biscuits are in the oven, whip up a box or two of cook-and-serve chocolate pudding as instructed on the box.






When the biscuits are done, slice one open and slather it with lots of butter. Spoon some of the hot pudding over the biscuit and there you have it...




Can I say yum?

For a more authentic experience, you can make this southern treat from scratch. 

Betty Reid's Chocolate Gravy

1 1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. cocoa
3/4 c. flour
Tad of salt
2 c. milk
2 c. water

Mix all ingredients and cook over a low flame until thickened. If too think, add a little more water or milk.  Serve over your favorite biscuits.

2 comments:

  1. This must be a Southern/Midwest type of desert. I'm dying to try it. Let me know how it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like dessert! My husband's little sisters take some "womp" biscuits, fry the dough in a pot of oil and the cover them with sugar. Easy donuts!

    ReplyDelete