Friday, April 6, 2012

Austen Therapy

There’s been a lot of talk about cynicism around Marry Well lately. It’s something we as singles all need to guard against, particularly those of us who live in the cynicism soaked 21stcentury United States.

Steve Watters gave us a list of practical tips in Beyond Cynicism. As I was watching a movie with my sister a few nights ago, I thought of another way we can counter cynical attitudes –- we can surround ourselves with stories of hope.

The small epiphany came while watching Andrew Davies’ adaption of Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility. Austen’s stories have long had a positive impact on my attitude towards the path to marriage. During some of my low points, the themes and plot threads have wound together into the perfect balm for cynicism, reminding me of many truths...

Visit Marry Well to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment