Monday, June 17, 2013

Why I Live With People

Years ago I watched a video segment on marital conflict. The husband and wife shared several sources of strife – he puts the toilet paper on the dispenser backwards, she squeezes the toothpaste tube in the middle. Each situation boiled down to one spouse not getting his or her way about a trivial issue. I was confused. Who thinks they get to decide how the toothpaste is squeezed? Who made her the lord of the toilet paper?

I couldn’t relate. Why? I’m used to living with people. I’m a 28-year-old college-educated woman, and I’ve never lived alone. In fact, I never “moved out.” That’s right – I still live at home. I haven’t made this decision because I’m inept or immature. I’m not incapable of living alone. It’s just that I’ve seen the value of living communally...

Visit Single Roots to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment