Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Heart of Christianity

I have been going through Justo L. Gonzalez' The Story of Christianity. I thought studying church history would be fascinating and perhaps inspiring. I did not expect to be challenged by it, or shamed by it.

This story is breaking my heart.

Consider the words of Basil, the Great Cappadocian:

If one who takes the clothing off another is called a thief, why give any other name to one who can clothe the naked and refuses to do so? The bread that you withhold belongs to the poor; the cape that you hide in your chest belongs to the naked; the shoes rotting in your house belong to those who must go unshod.

While we might argue about Basil's understanding of personal boundaries, his heart is exemplary.

I've never met anyone with a heart like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment