Monday, October 6, 2014

When I Don't Know What to Say About My Singleness

Sometimes the only thing worse than being single is thinking about singleness. Or talking about singleness. Or reading about singleness.

Or writing about singleness.

For the past three years, I’ve been blessed to have the opportunity to write for a Christian relationship service. I’ve learned so much about myself and about relationships through the process. I’ve read more articles than I can ever count, and my already overcrowded bookshelves have been overwhelmed by the additional volumes on dating, courtship, engagement, and marriage perspectives. I have tirelessly studied this topic.

In my love life, I have tried to apply all the principles the experts suggest. When something hasn’t worked, I have adjusted my methods. I have been strict, and I have been relaxed. I have ignored my heart, and I have been guided by it. I have prayed for marriage, and I have let the topic rest.

Sometimes I’ve taken breaks from thinking about relationships at all. I have wondered if being called to singleness wouldn’t be so bad—at least I could cancel my dating service subscriptions, throw away my relationship books, and pretend to be fulfilled in every way.

But the reality is, I’m not fulfilled...

Read more at Single Roots.

2 comments:

  1. I am in the same boat as you. I desire to be married, but have absolutely no prospects. I believe that God still wants us to hope and believe him for the impossible. Because, any area that you don't have hope in, is an area that is under the influence of a lie. Hope is trusting the Lord. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best article on singleness I have found. Thank you for naming the reality of being unfulfilled in singleness.

    ReplyDelete